Another “Top 10” list as ScreenJunkie publishes the “Best Sci-Fi Films” with this opening:
The greatest sci fi movies are the best movies depict parallel worlds, other dimensions and outer space. They are movies about science, technology and the future. Sci fi movies have things that are out of this world such as time travel, robots, spaceships and extraterrestrial life forms.
Three of Steven Spielberg films top the list with another coming in at the end of the list. Spielberg also produced “Men In Black” which made the list.
Check it out:
- “E.T.” – This is one of the greatest sci fi movies. It was made in 1982 and directed by Steven Spielberg. It stars Drew Barrymore, Henry Thomas and Dee Wallace. Elliot makes friends with a creature from another planet who is stranded on Earth. Elliot and his siblings must help E.T. return home to his family but in the meantime, they have to hide him from their mother as well as the government.
- “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”- This 1997 sci fi movie is another great from Steven Spielberg. It stars Richard Dreyfuss, Teri Garr and Melinda Dillon. The movie tells the tale of Roy Neary, a line worker in Indiana. One night, when he encounters a UFO, his life is changed forever when he stars having strange visions and a set of five musical notes running through his mind.
- “Jurassic Park”- Another one of the greatest sci fi movies by Steven Spielberg was released in 1993. It stars Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum. Billionaire John Hammond has created an island tourist park of cloned dinosaurs. He invites his two grandchildren and several others for a tour of the park. When the electricity is shut down, the dinosaurs are set to run free and the visitors must try and find a way to escape alive.
- “Back to the Future”- This 1985 sci fi movie was directed by Robert Zemechis. It stars Michael J. Fox, Lea Thompson and Christopher Lloyd. When Marty McFly is sent back to the year 1955 by a crazy scientist and his travel machine, Marty must make his parents fall in love in order to get back to the year 1985.
- “Mad Max”- This 1979 sci fi movies is one of the greatest directed by George Miller. The movie stars Mel Gibson as Max Rockatansky, a cop on the police force who chases down biker gangs. When Max’s wife and son are killed by a gang member, Max vows revenge.
- “Total Recall”- “Total Recall” is a 1990 movie directed by Paul Verhoeven and stars Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sharon Stone and Michael Ironside. Arnold plays the role of Douglas Quaid who has a recurring dream about a journey to Mars. He decides to take a vacation to a place that sells implanted memories. But when something goes wrong, he realizes he was a secret agent.
- “Men in Black”- As one of the greatest sci fi movies ever, this 1997 action movie was directed by Barry Sonnenfeld and stars Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith as agents Kay and Jay. They are part of an organization that monitors alien activity on Earth. When a terrorists from another planet lands on Earth, the team must track him in order to save Earth. Movie tagline” Protecting the Earth from the scum of the universe.
- “Avatar”- This 2009 sci fi movie was directed by James Cameron. It stars Sam Worthington, Zoë Saldana, Joel Moore and Sigourney Weaver. When his brother is killed, a paraplegic Marine takes his place in a mission to another world, Pandora. Pandora’s habitants are Na’vi who are humanoids. The humans and humanoids must exist and break through the language and culture barriers.
- “Ghostbusters”- This is one of the greatest movies, directed by Ivan Reitman. The 1984 movie stars Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Sigourney Weaver. When three parapsychologists lost their jobs, they opened their own ghost capturing service. When NYC is attacked by an evil dimension, the Ghostbusters must save the city.
- “The War of the Worlds”- This is without question one of the greatest sci fi movies. The movie was released in 2005, directed by Steven Spielberg and stars Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning. Ray Ferrier is just getting off the night shift and has to care for his two kids while his ex is in Boston. When the world is attacked by huge tripod machines, Ray must fight to protect his kids from the evil terror.
The list was written by Deana Clark