From SCREENJUNKIES: If you love films about the Holocaust, you’ll love reading this list of 10 Holocaust films. Holocaust films are not always easy to find even though many have been made, but this should help you out and you may even see a few movies you have missed in the past.
- “Schindler’s List” This movie was released in 1993 by director Steven Spielberg and starred Ben Kingsley, Liam Neeson and RalphFiennes. It was a haunting story about Oskar Schindler and how he saved hundreds of his Jews during WWII. This movie won numerous awards and accolades.
- “Holocaust” This television movie appeared in 1978 starring MerylStreep and James Woods and is about a Jewish family during the Holocaust. It won a Golden Globe award and is highly praised.
- “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas” This 2008 movie stars DavidThewlis and Vera Farmiga and is about a young German boy who befriends a Jewish boy in the concentration camp his father oversees. With a heartbreaking ending, this movie is one of the most haunting.
- “Sophie’s Choice” Starring Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline, this 1982 movie told the story of Sophie’s choice during the Nazi regime and its effects on her life long after the war is over. It shows how a person can be affected for many years after an experience.
- “The Devil’s Arithmetic” This 1999 television movie featured Kirsten Dunst as a Jewish teen. She experiences a concentration camp when she is sent back in time during a Jewish dinner with her family.
- “Life is Beautiful” This 1997 film won three Oscars at the Academy Awards. It tells the story of a Jewish man who uses laughter and jokes to get his son through every day life of the death camps.
- “The Pianist” This movie starred Adrien Brody, who won an Oscar for his performance, as a Polish-Jewish pianist during the destruction of the Warsaw Ghetto during WWII. It was written by Roman Polanski whose own parents were in the Holocaust.
- “The Reader” Based on a book, this film starred Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes and debuted in 2008. It told the relationship of a young boy and his older lover and how he later defends her against war crimes during the Holocaust. Kate Winslet won an Oscar for her portrayal in the movie.
- “Defiance” “Defiance” was released in 2008 and starred Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber as Jewish brothers. The brothers join Russian fighters to protect Jewish non-combatant citizens during the Holocaust.
- “Sunshine” This 1999 movie starred Ralph Fiennes and RachelWeisz. It’s about a Hungarian Jewish family during the Holocaust. It spanned over three generations and Ralph Fiennes played a character in all three.
Although the topic is harsh, these Holocaust films are some of the best there are and while you may have seen some of them, hopefully there’s a new movie that you haven’t come across and can add to your watch list.